Thursday, February 7, 2008

Taxes...now I get it


This picture is exactly what I looked like AFTER filing taxes. Ugh. I'm glad I don't have to do that for another year.

So, I used to hear people constantly complaining about taxes. There are a few things in life that EVERYONE love to just whine about, a few of them being taxes, being busy, cold weather and needing to lose weight. Since I don't have kids and live in Las Vegas...that pretty much cancels all of these out...BUT taxes.

I was guessing my taxes refund based on last year, but what I didn't take into account is that last year I didn't even earn more than my deductions, so I got the full federal and state amount back. This year, we had a slightly different story.

As I'm sitting there entering in the separate W-2s, I am getting excited seeing a large federal return amount. As I enter the last W-2, the amount magically drops to a THIRD of the refund amount previously listed (I was e-filing my taxes, so it would tell me the federal tax return amount in the upper corner as I went). A THIRD. So you are telling me, because I added in that last small amount, I lost thousands of dollars! Wow. Kinda seems like an incentive to NOT earn money if you ask me.

I also spent about 3 hours figuring out my state tax since I lived in two states this year. ALL OF THIS for the total refund amount of $46. Worth it? I don't think so. On top of that, I filled it out electronically and, conveniently, my computer decided to freeze RIGHT when I was trying to print it. Yep, you guessed it...I had to refill all the forms all over again. Mike realized that I was kinda scary and had the potential of totally freaking at any moment, so he (smartly) stayed away. haha.

So, for all of you out there complaining about taxes. Give me a call because I feel like complaining as well. Apparently I'm poor enough to file online for free, but not to have the government keep SO MUCH of my money. At least I'm still poor enough to get the full $1200 extra rebate! Yeah for economic crisis!

9 comments:

Hannah said...

Alas, the more money we earn, the more taxes we pay. Such is life. If it makes you feel better, I even breathe a sigh of relief when I'm done with my taxes and I'm a CPA! AND, I had to do two state returns as well, and the Utah return only yielded $2...but I still had to do it because I had filed a federal return. Lame? YES! I'm proud of you for plowing through it all on your own!

brittany said...

i love that picture of you. so funny and so perfect.

Sharon said...

That does not sound like a fun experience at all. Luckily for me, being married to a CPA, I just sign my name every year and don't even think about it (except for when I look at the amount of taxes we pay - DEPRESSING!!) But what a woman to, as Hannah said, plow through it all on your own. I'm impressed. By the way, the sad face in the picture made me laugh!! You should be a model for facial expressions. Love the tan and love the shirt.

lyndsey + brandon said...

BOO for taxes. we haven't started ours yet but after reading this i am NOT looking forward to it.

you can file online for free??

Brian Blumer said...

Bummed about the $46 refund? That actually sounds about perfect. It seems like, ideally, you should end up every year getting a very small refund, 'cause that means you're not over-withholding and you're taking home what you should with every paycheck. You must've done a good job, in spite of the headache.

Jill said...

I am impressed you were able to figure it out. Dad always does ours. I need to take a lesson from my daughters! Hey, at least you get a refund and don't owe any extra!

andrea.ponder said...

I still have no idea how to do taxes. Let's hope the IRS doesn't come after me.

Williams Fam said...

I am impressed as well that you've done yours!! WE haven't even gotten to ours yet, and believe me, I don't look forward to that horrible day! Yuck~

janner said...

You are a brave girl. Don't you hate having to conform to stuff in the "grown up" world?