Friday, July 25, 2008

The Dinner Disaster


So, now that everyone knows I'm pregnant...I'll just admit that I am so tired and Mike is totally having to pick up the slack around the house including: making dinner. (look, it makes me feel sick to cook alright?) So, here is a dinner story from this week:

On the menu for this past Tuesday night was:
FROZEN LASAGNA

Before I get home Mike puts the lasagna in the oven and we wait until 6:30 to take it out. When he goes to take it out I start hearing Mike yell "help!" and I hear all this sizzling. (Note: Mike forgot to put the lasagna on a pan, so it collapsed in the middle, spilling all the contents on to the floor of the oven)

I, surprisingly since I don't do quick movements these days, ran over to Mike to see what was happening. Once I determined that he was NOT burned (check) I looked to see an ENTIRE PARTY size (not family, PARTY) of lasagna on the BOTTOM of the oven.

Mike: "Hurry, get a spatula. Salvage some of the lasagna on the bottom of the oven so we can eat something for dinner"
(Angela and Mike trying to scoop some of the sizzling lasagna off scorching oven floor)
Angela: just hysterically laughing...
After salvaging enough for a little dinner...
Angela: "okay, just close the oven until it cools, then we'll clean it"
(Mike attempts to close oven door and noodles are totally oozing and squishing in the door preventing it from closing)

I was seriously crying I was laughing so hard.

It took both me and Mike cleaning for 45 mins to clean it all up, but it was worth it for the laugh.

Thanks Mike for being such a good husband to me while I'm lame and making me dinner. You are the best!!

14 comments:

lyndsey + brandon said...

HAHA sorry mike but this story is hilarious. it's cute that now he's learning from the same mistakes i made when i was 18 (and which some people made even younger, but my mom never let me cook :) glad you guys could laugh about it.

Justin and Kitara said...

That's a great story! Ironically, we just had pretty much the same experience at our house when Justin was making French Bread Pizza. At least we know our husbands like to try and help in the kitchen, right?

Hannah said...

Okay, this totally cracked me up. I'm actually very impressed that you were able to LAUGH at the mess of food in the oven being in your first trimester. I think it would have triggered a trip to the bathroom for me...nothing like gushy food to make my stomach turn. ha ha!

Hannah said...

Thank you Mike for taking such good care of my sister! You're the greatest! Don't let the lasagna incident discourage you :)

SW said...

I love this story, it is great! I am impressed with the ability to salvage any at all, I swear I would be like, "Well I guess we are eating out tonight!"

McGiven Family.... said...

That is hilarious! I love that Mike is trying so hard to be helpful, what a great guy! Maybe you should stick to take out though, it's a lot harder to ruin!

becca said...

What a funny story! I like the part about the noodles oozing through the crack in the door. And I like how at the end of the post you THANK Mike for being a great husband and giving you a good laugh. I've always wondered why that cookie sheet was needed -- when you put the lasagna in the oven, it seems so solid!

Did you have any leftovers from that party-sized lasagna?

Brooke said...

Haha, my favorite picture is the last one with the lasagna oozing out of the oven. What a great story! I'm glad you were able to salvage a little bit for dinner! Keep cooking Mike! If nothing else, it makes great blogging material!

guthriegang said...

that is hilarious!! even better that you can laugh about it!! hope the pregnancy is going well!

Lindz & Johnny said...

Too funny! Love the story and it made us miss you guys!! We'll have the keep in touch...and congrats on the baby!!!

janner said...

This is a great story for your family history! We all think Mike deserves a lot of credit for attempting to salvage enough lasagna off of the oven floor to actually eat for dinner. I am so impressed that you thought to take pictures too. Sorry that you are feeling yucky, Ang. If you can hold out for a few more weeks, then food in all forms will start looking better (remember Becca's food dreams! Cling to that thought.) We are all very excited for you! Congratulations!

P.S. Mike--Cup O Soup is easy--just add water!

Taylor Kowallis said...

how stinking funny!!! Im glad you got that on camera! Are you so excited for Breaking Dawn? I wish you lived closer so we could go to the midnight party, well you are probably going to one anyway!

Jill said...

I feel bad because I bought you that ill-fated lasagne so that Mike might have one easy meal to make for you....so it doesn't sound like it was very easy! I'm glad you could laugh and I hope you feel better soon.

andrea.roche said...

Dying to hear updates. how are u feeling etc?