Thursday, September 18, 2008

Are you serious with me?

Here's the story (picture BELOW story for SHOCKING suspense):

Background: A woman in my office feels the need to tell me on a weekly basis that she is "surprised" with how much I'm showing already. This started about a month ago and since then, the EXACT same conversation has taken place approximately 4 times....until TODAY when it happened a 5th time, but with a different reaction on my part. Typical convo goes as follows:

Woman: "Wow, you're showing"
Angela: "Yeah, I know...how fun!"
Woman: "I'm surprised at how much you are showing already though" *spoken not rudely, but with genuine concern, absolute wonder, and complete puzzlement (a word?) at how this could possibly be.
Woman still puzzled: "hmm...I didn't show at all until I was 6 months pregnant."
Angela: "Wow, that's pretty late to show" (hinting I'm TOTALLY normal and not concerned by my growth thus far)
Woman trying to resolve utter confusion with my huge belly: "Well, I was tiny though" (as in that's why she showed so late and that it's a way different situation from mine)


These exact same phrases have been said to me 4 times, with every time I see her. So yesterday, when she walked by...lo and behold, the same convo started up...but with a different reaction from me.


Woman: "Wow, you're showing"
Angela: "yep"
Woman: "How far along are you?"
Angela: "Pretty far...I'm 17 weeks" (I LOVE showing...I've waited 17 weeks for my little belly :) )
Woman: "That's not very far...I'm surprised you're showing that much...I didn't show till I was 6 months..."
Angela interjecting since I couldn't believe this convo was happening AGAIN: "Yes, I know...you let me know every week how surprised you are that I'm showing so much. Apparently I'm a fat A" *my hand up in the air like "oh well" (for your knowledge, I didn't use the A word...I really just said 'A') Yikes, watch out for pregnant Angela!


Here's the belly. Are you shocked? Maybe you should be. haha.


Note: If you were really shocked the first time you saw my belly...wouldn't you have just ACCEPTED it by the next 4 times so that it wouldn't shock you with every subsequent viewing?

Disclaimer: Don't worry, I'm not paranoid about my belly. I feel like I am progressing at a very normal rate and am content.

25 comments:

Sarah said...

That's really funny... is she older?? (as in grandma like?) Senility is the only way I can explain this. :) I showed at like 2 months I swear. (OK not really, but I DEFINITELY couldn't fit in my regular pants by 3.

Hannah said...

First of all, you look totally and completely ADORABLE with your 17-week belly. Way to be proud of it! (did you get the clothes yet in the mail?)

Secondly, I'm proud of you for saying what ALL of us WANT to say to those ridiculous people when we're pregnant. What was her reaction? She must me one of those people that tries to make herself feel good by letting people know how "small" she was so that you'll say something like, "Wow, I wish I could be like you." Maybe she won't stop until she hears that?!?

If she is "tiny" and you aren't, then I don't want to know what she would call the rest of us!

NO one in their right mind would think you look anything but perfectly healthy and normal :) I think you look amazing!! I love thinking of that little baby inside you.

andrea.roche said...

Haha. u would not believe the things people will say to you while prego. I'm amazed how truly STUPID human beings are...and what's strange is that it's usually WOMEN saying the stupid things.

Gregory said...

Hmm, that's weird. Heidi didn't show until 8 months.

McGiven Family.... said...

Some people are so strange. People made weird comments to me all the time. That is hilarious though! For what it is worth, I think you look adorable and are showing the perfect amount! I cannot wait to find out what that darling baby is though!

Aaron and Celina said...

wow that seriously just made me laugh! i can't believe some of the things people have said to you! way to stick up for yourself though!

Chanell Reichner said...

You know how our memory plays tricks on us, like I remember what an amazing basketball player I was and then watch a game film and think, "Wow I thought I was better than that." Maybe in her mind she didn't show until 6 months, but if she saw the film she really was a tank. Who knows?

Chanell Reichner said...

Oh and p.s. You look great- I don't even consider that showing.

Balderson's said...

Yeah you should totally be proud of your little belly (which is tiny by the way!) you are working hard for it! Oh, and you are not getting big just blosoming beautifully!

The Anaya Family said...

Let me just say to all out there, the opinions expressed by some members of the staff do not reflect how we all feel...LOL..I think you look adorable and completly the way your supposed to look. You are prego after all.
You know how I feel about this "Person"...don't pay her any mind!
We love our Chicken Little....

The Holland Family! said...

You should be totally content and you look absolutely DARLING! Thanks for making me laugh. Hopeflly that lady learned not to mess with prego Angela!

Tara said...

Good for you for saying something. Some people have NO tact whatsoever!!! Even if I was shocked (which I am NOT), I would never say it out loud. You look adorable. I love the small, cute belly that you get for the first while. I loved that stage.

Jill said...

I am hopeful, that if I diet and exercise for the rest of my mortal life, I can get my belly down to the size that yours is now.

Brooke said...

Oh Ang, gotta hate the old lady comments. I had a lady in my office that would tell me how she didn't show until she was 6 months along too! It was so annoying. The other thing she LOVED to tell me is how no one could tell she was pregnant from the back... yea... riiiight.

People say the craziest things to you when you are pregnant. You are handling it so well! I think you look absolutely adorable! I loved finally getting a belly and yours is so cute!

B and C Harris said...

Angela, you're so funny. I'm happy that you finally said something to your co-worker- she had it coming.

Anderson's said...

I am glad you said something! You look dang cute. It's all in your belly!

rachael said...

Okay, is 17 weeks really "pretty far"?

Angela and Mike said...

17 weeks is pretty far in the sense that I should ACTUALLY be showing and it shouldn't be shocking. I was hoping that she would be lilke "oh yeah...well I guess at almost 4 months that IS kinda normal" haha

Lenzi said...

I'm so glad you finally said something back!! That's why I'm so nervous to get pregnant (one of the many) -- the freaks that need to give too much info, say weird/hurtful things, etc.

Good work on putting her in her place!!

Cummards said...

Oh my goodness, I'm dying. I'm glad you have such a good attitude about it! And it seriously is so nice that you actually have a cute baby belly. I was def. showing at 17 weeks, but in all the wrong places. I didn't have a cute tiny bump like that, I only wished I did. She's probably the same way! You are almost to the half way mark, yay!! And you are looking so adorable, I can't wait to find out what's inside!!!!

Daniel said...

Nice! Wow. You said Fat A. I am totally laughing.

Shaneshia Phill said...

you are too funny! Aww- the pregnant lady jokes. You are so petite!

p.s. enjoyed rockin' out with you guys last night. I think we're almost ready for our first concert!

Konfusion with a K said...

hahaha what a stupid woman... sorry you have to put up with such insecurity on her part. 6 months? yeah okay lady... she is clearly bitter at how adorable you are. i think your baby bump is precious and i'm glad you told her off :)

miss you!!!

andrea.roche said...

update please. Trev wants u guys to have a boy so our kids can be buddies at BYU.

janner said...

Oh my gosh Angela--the woman is mental. Good for you, standing up to her, only she probably won't get it. The bump is so cute, by the way, and totally not shocking.