Friday, February 27, 2009

My Baby Story

I am feeling better and better everyday (thank goodness...2 hours of pushing and 17 hrs of labor will do that to you) and Colton is doing great! He is absolutely perfect and learning to do all the things babies need to do: eat, sleep, look cute, and go to the bathroom.
We love him so much and could just look at him all day. Well, I could except I try to sleep every time he takes a nap so I actually can get some shut eye :) I love his totally dark hair and think he looks like both of us.

A Quick Version of the Birth Story (don't feel pressured to read)
Mike and I went to the hospital at 9 p.m. Tuesday for the induction and since I was already at a 2-3 and 80 % effaced, they hooked me right up to the pitocin. All night until 6 I had regular contractions that were manageable and I could breathe through them without pain medication. Mike got a little nap and I tried to sleep in between contractions, but you can imagine that isn't the most restful sleep :) haha. I started to get a little frustrated with how slow I was progressing, but the nurse tried to comfort me by telling me it usually takes the most time to get from a 3 to a 4.

6:00 a.m.
After 8 hours, the nurse suggested we speed things up a bit by breaking my water. I knew the contractions would be intense after this, and they were. Immediately after she broke my water the contractions were very intense. After about 30 minutes of very strong contractions and breathing thru them, I decided to get an epidural so I could get some shut eye and keep enough strength for the pushing. The epidural went well, it was the BEST thing ever. I was able to relax and rest for the next few hours.

11 a.m.
I could tell my body had progressed and wasn't able to sleep anymore, but I was at a 10! For the next hour we let the contractions continue to help me so I wouldn't have to push as long (whoops, I still had to do a TON of that)

12-1:44 p.m.
I pushed this entire time, but was very positive and energized. As long as Colton was gradually progressing, I was just fine. It's crazy the adrenaline and energy you get from a higher power. I think the nurses (there were 3 student nurses watching me also) were slightly confused because I was so positive and happy in between pushing haha.

1:44 pm
COLTON IS born
This was the LONGEST 1 1/2 mins of my life. Mike started pacing the room...Colton didn't cry when he came out and took a couple of minutes for his first yell. I broke down once I heard that little cry, I was so relieved. The next moments were sweet and I will remember as some of the most precious moments of my life. The doctor finished working on me and Mike came over to my side and we both just looked at each other and cried. We did it! Our little boy was here and he was beautiful and perfect (no matter how much of a cone head he had).

We both held him and his little dark hair. He just looked around at us peacefully with those little eyes. I still couldn't believe he was mine, but I knew that I loved him.

*All and all, I was SO happy with how the delivery went. I felt very blessed for everything working out. Mike was so great and supportive, he was a real comfort during the whole thing.

Baby Colton and Daddy
Happy boy!Grandma is a life saver!
I am NOT strangling him, I am BURPING him. I promise. He makes the funniest little face when I burp him. I love it.

23 comments:

Hannah said...

Yeah, more pictures...AND the whole birth story in writing. I love it all--your words and the pictures. He is completely darling and I just wish I could see him. Thank you for sharing your beautiful moment with us! Love you love you.

Sharon said...

He is getting cuter every day. I love his little face when you are strangling him. I think he needs his other greandma out there to protect him!!

Brooke said...

Way to go Angela! I loved reading the whole story, I am so glad things went so smoothly for you. (minus all the pushing) And I agree, he is getting cuter everyday, how is that possible?! I love all the pictures, keep them coming! He is such a beautiful baby and I LOVE the dark hair! We would love to come by and see you whenever things slow down a bit. We are moving into our house tomorrow, so we will only be about five minutes away! I seriously can not wait to hold that cute boy!

Taylor Kowallis said...

I am so excited for you!!!! He is so stinking cute! Congrats on the great delivery, you are one lucky girl!!! Let me know if you need anything... dinners, naps anything :)

Our Family said...

He is so sweet! Congratulations on a perfect little guy.. I love the pics. Keep them coming!

Renee said...

He is a doll! Congrats again on a successful but long delivery.

Toni S. Cook said...

Congratulations!! What a doll, Matt and I are so happy for you guys! He is perfect! Angela you're a champ and we look forward to meeting baby rose aka future byu sharp shooter someday soon:)

Aaron and Chels Allred said...

ok he is ADORABLE! and i have never heard anyone talk so positively about pushing! haha. you are a champ! congratulations! he's a gem!

SW said...

Congrats! I am so excited for you and glad that all is well! Love the pictures!

McGiven Family.... said...

Oh he is so adorable! You have me in tears! The whole process is truly such a miracle. I am so glad everything went smoothly! Thank heavens for epidurals!

Shaneshia Phill said...

He looks just like Mike! I LOVE the last picture of him...he looks so precious!

andrea.roche said...

I agree w you. pushing was awesome! i was so happy at that point! hows nursing going?

brittany said...

congratulations! enjoy having your mom there to help. is sharon coming too? i can't believe how close our babies were in size. almost exactly the same and only 2 days apart. how fun.

carol montegar campbell said...

First of all, 'Grandma' looks like a super-model! haha Colton is a sweetheart and in the pictures it looks like he has a little red in that dark hair! He looks so ALERT for a newborn! Personally, I see a lot of Mike in him. Angela, your story made me cry! To me, giving birth is the most exhilarating experience a woman can have in this earth life! Isn't it wonderful? We're so proud of you guys and it looks like baby Colton has come to the perfect family for him! Love you!

{The Ellison's} said...

He is darling! Good job Angela and Mike!

McKay and Lindsay said...

He's a beautiful baby. It's an incredible thing huh! Sounds like you were a champ and did great! Congrats you two! (PS - I've been thinking about you at the BYU games we've been going to...way to beat the Utes on Sat. right!)

The Johnson Five said...

I love all the pictures! I left you a message the other day.....I can't wait to see him!

Steph and Matt said...

Congratulations! Colton looks really healthy. We are so happy for your family-and Allie says, "Hi, Sister Rose."

Fuller Family said...

Congratulations! He is adorable. I can't wait to see him. I am so glad to hear that everything went well.

becca said...

(crying) I loved reading this -- I think birth stories are all miraculous and beautiful. And MAN is Colton cute! I love your whole little family!

The Dawes' said...

He's sooo cute!!! Congrats! You're going to be one awesome Mom and Dad. He's got the cutest face, and great hair!

Crystal said...

Oh what a cute little guy you have. I can totally picture you being all positive and happy all through labor. I think he looks like Mike so far. Congrats! I hope you're getting some sleep.

Ashby said...

Congratulations Ang! He is absolutely beautiful. I loved reading your birth story! You are going to be one awesome mom!