Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Back to the Hospital

( My little "zoro" trooper. Poor little guy.)

Wondering why you haven't heard from us for the last few days?

That's because I've spent the last 3 days in the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit) with a very jaundiced baby. On Monday at our first doctors appt, they told me I had a very orange baby. When they called me back with his biliruben count, it was very high and they told me to go immediately to the hospital where I would be admitted right away and Colton would sit under lights to help him get better.

When we got to the intensive care unit, we also found out that Colton was very dehydrated. Colton was a little bit of a rough starter on nursing, but I thought we were making progress. Apparently, he really wasn't getting much although I had it all there for him.

It's every new mother's fear that her child isn't getting enough food, and this fear was EXACTLY what actually happened. I felt terrible...my poor little guy.

Over the next 3 days, I don't think I slept longer than a 20 minute period with the temperature checks, beeping machines, pumping, feeding, nurses checking in and out, lab people taking his blood, getting IVs, poking and pricking, putting on and off his "zoro" mask for his bed and sharing a double cot with my mother (who is the most amazing person and staying with me helping me the ENTIRE time).

I am exhausted. However, I am now home and so grateful to be home with my little boy! He did SO well the entire time and actually didn't mind sleeping under the lights at all. It was like he was taking a vacation at the beach laying out under the sun. Needless to say, I've cried more the in past 3 days than I think I ever have. I am feeling positive and very grateful now though.

I love my little Colton.

*Mike was so amazing thru all of this juggling going to work, coming to the hospital, picking up food, and being a very supportive and loving husband and father. Here is a picture of my happy boy since he is feeling so much better!

20 comments:

Brooke said...

Oh no! How stressful! I'm so glad he is doing better. Ryan had jaundice really bad too. We stayed an extra day in the hospital so he could lay under lights. Thank goodness for moms. They are the best!

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. I know you are doing great with your mom there, but when she leaves, if you ever need ANYTHING please call! Even if you just need company during the day, I'm here!

Brooke said...

oh yea, and I did wonder where you were. I was ready for more pictures!

lyndsey said...

awww!!! poor little guy. that is sad but good thing everything is going better now. and yes, i did wonder where my pen pal went :( oh well, THIS is more important than emails.

Hannah said...

Hooray for Colton! And, Hooray for his Mommy, and his Daddy, and his Grandma! Hooray for being home and for life getting better everyday! Hooray for skilled doctors who know how to help little babies get well. Hooray for sleeping without beeps, lights, and pricks.

We love you! You are doing an amazing job...really! The reason we go to the doctor is because we don't know how to diagnose things on our own. Baby Colton is so lucky to have such a patient, loving mommy!

Karen and Kevin said...

aw Angela that's so tough! Poor little guy... I'm glad he's doing well now!!

Our Family said...

I'm so glad you are all healthy and home. What a miserable and scary thing to go through! I hope you can get some sleep!

Renee said...

We are so glad that you are home and Colton is doing so much better! Hang in there!!!!

McGiven Family.... said...

I am so glad he is home. I can honestly say having your children in the hospital is one of the most stressful things ever. I am so happy your mom was there to be with you through it all. Only now can you start to comprehend the love your mom has for you. It is amazing the love of a mother for her child! You are already an amazing mother and Mike is such a great father. I hope you get some sleep in the coming days. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. We love you and are thinking of you.

By the way, as we have been packing I have found tons of clothes Brady and Easton never wore and I want to give you! Hopefully I will see you and meet Colton while Sharon is in town!

Sharon said...

So glad that you guys are home. He actually looks like he has a little smile on his face in that last picture. I love it.

Anderson's said...

I am glad he is doing better.

sam and brittney said...

I'm so sorry to hear that about baby Colton. I'm glad that he is doing better! Hang in there and enjoy your little baby!

Baldersons said...

Angela, I'm so sorry you guys have had a rough start...I can totally sympathize with that! So glad things are going better...I need to call you sometime soon when things have calmed down a little for you!

becca said...

You made it through the hardest week! It really will get easier from here. I am impressed at how well you have done with all the stress dumped on you, and I am so glad Colton is doing better!

Lori said...

Congratulations! He is beautiful. So glad you are home. Thanks for sharing everything. Please let me know if you need anything. Lori

Crystal said...

I'm so glad to hear you guys are home and doing better. You've been in our thoughts and prayers. Those first few weeks with a newborn are rough enough without adding a trip back to hospital in there. I was so sad to hear that little Colton was back in the hospital. Poor little guy. Yay for being home.

janner said...

Hoooray! I called Hannah this afternoon to get all the scoop. We are all so glad that you are back home again. One good thing is that you are getting the full deal right from the start. Now that you have survived this incredibly stressful week, nothing will stress you out after this! You'll be like, "Pfff. I can handle this. I made it through 72 hours in the hospital with a jaundiced newborn just days after a 17 hour labor." We think you guys are all awesome! We love you!

P.S. Isn't it amazing how one little tiny adorable baby can usurp the energy of as many able-bodied adults as there are available? So glad you have your mom there to help through this time!

andrea.roche said...

Oh angela. I am so sorry...but seriously, what a blessing you were able to catch it all and FIX it early. I wish I were there to help. I know how stressful this all is- esp the first month. Just know, the sleep deprivation does get better. The worries do subside (a little), and Colton will get the hang of nursing. Nursing was SO hard for me the first 3 weeks. KEEP IT UP! I'm SOOO glad your mom was there!

My email is acp389@gmail.com and my # is 208-899-2275. Please email/call/text whatever if you need to vent/talk/get advice/freak out etc....I have a few friends that just had babies and they are seriously the greatest comfort to me knowing their babies are going thru similar things.

love you guys and love little colton!

Lenzi said...

Wow that is so scary! I know that a lot of babies get jaundice but the whole little "crib with lights" doesn't look fun. I'm sorry you guys had to go through that! I'm glad you are ALL home safe and healthy.

Jordan said...

hey Mike and Angela.. glad that Colton is doing better. Can't wait to meet him! Bytheway, I like the nickname Zoro for him.. I hope it sticks!

Sincerely,
Jordan

Dan said...

Just came across this last night... wow. I had no idea that was going on! But I'm glad it's all over!