Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Jump

(random pic of Colton, just because)

Well, we finally made it back from our long visit to Houston, TX for the holidays. But, I should clarify that we barely made it back.
Monday, our flight was set to take off at 5:50 pm. We got on the road a little later than I had wanted, but was assured everything would be fine. When we kept hitting traffic, my heart progressively started beating faster and faster. We finally arrived at the airport with 50 minutes until takeoff. After waiting 25 minutes, we got to the counter, received our boarding passes and started sprinting to the security check in.

Important note: Although we could see the security check right next to the ticketing counters, there was a 4 ft tall wall barrier in between, forcing us to take the looonnnngg way around to get there.

At security check, I quickly hand over our IDs and boarding passes.
"Where is Michael's boarding pass?"
It wasn't there. Angela and Colton were stapled together, but no Mike.
"Can I just go over that wall there to get it from our ticketing counter? We are going to miss our flight," Mike pleads.
"No, you can't go that way. You have to go around..." she stops for a second, "well, never mind. He just jumped over the wall."

I couldn't watch. I kept my eyes down. Mike had taken off running and totally jumped and cleared the wall, complete with 6 TSA people standing nearby just watching him. The people standing in line applauded his efforts as he ran up to our counter. He got what he needed and looked back to the wall, but this time, a big TSA lady shook her head back and forth as if to say "No way. Not again."

Mike sprinted around the long way. We ran the rest of the way and stepped on the plane 9 minutes before takeoff. Doors were supposed to have closed 10 mins prior. We even got to sit next to eachother. A miracle.

MORAL OF THE STORY IS: always plan on being at the airport 1 1/2 hours early! If you are going to do something dangerous, like jump a wall barrier, do it with style.

12 comments:

Sharon said...

Ang, I can't believe you kept your head down and didn't see the awesome jump. Of course, I take full credit for Mike's amazing athletic skills and jumping ability! Cute, cute picture of Colton. Was that taken at Jackie's house on Christmas Eve?

Jill said...

You probably had your head down PRAYING that Mike would not get arrested! (What security threat level are we, code orange right now?) It worked! Guess that basketball training works for practical life skills, too!

andrea.roche said...

dying laughing. I can just picture it. Glad to see a new post and glad u made it home! Is colton moving more? Trey refuses to even attempt to walk. LAZY boys!

Aaron and Chels Allred said...

hahahaha I can't believe he just cleared the wall. that's rad. go mike!

lyndsey said...

YAY! a blog post! missed ya. glad mike still has hops :)

Kara said...

Oh my gosh. Missing flights/being late has to be one of the most stressful things ever. My armpits would have been soaked (TMI?). I wish i would have been there to see the jump. I think if you could make your flight due to wall jumping then you should be encouraged to jump it. I'm so glad that you made it!!

Crystal said...

Ok, I CANNOT believe Mike got away with that! I'm very impressed. Oh that Mike, what a character.

Jill said...

I forgot to mention that Colton looks positively handsome in that picture.

Sharon said...

Good point, Jill. Had I been there I would have kept my head down PRAYING and crossing every finger and toe that Mike didn't get arrested!

Hannah said...

Seriously, I'm still laughing about this. I can envision the whole scene...mike getting a running start, TSA people shaking their heads, passengers applauding, you bowing your head! Ahhh!! What a great story, and I love the moral, too.

janner said...

Way to go, Mike! If you are going to create a security breach, you definitely need to jump over a wall to get everyone's attention. Loved this story. And the picture. AWWW....he's so precious.

becca said...

The other moral of the story is that Mike is awesome. I'm so glad he got some applause -- I would have joined in. Great story!