Tuesday, February 2, 2010

ER

Colton, Mike and I got back from the ER a few hours ago. 30 mins after posting my blog, Mike thought he heard Colton waking up from his loooonnnnggg nap and I went up to check on him. I found a very VERY hot baby, breathing about the pace of a dog pant with no energy, kinda lethargic.
-
I got him a bottle and checked his temperate. At 104 I took out the thermometer told Mike to put him in a bath while I got the tylenol and called the Dr. (discharge information said: "a fever is not expected. If your child experiences a fever of over 101 contact practitioner). We noticed he didn't look quite as pink as he was supposed to, wasn't really moving around and still breathing fast. We got his temp down to 102.6.
-
Sooo...we got in the car fast and drove to the ER. There we got him hooked up to an IV (second of the day), got blood samples, and urine samples. We assumed he had some sort of reaction to the anesthesia this morning, however 4 hours later all the sample results came back showing that he didn't have the typical reactions for the anesthesia. of COURSE. Nothing understandable today.
-
The dr. dared to say "maybe it was just a coincidence and he happened to get a fever today" to which I responded with "no. NO WAY. It was not a coincidence. The kid had a temp of 98 this morning and by noon 104. "
-
So, now we are home. Colton's temp is back to normal and I'm keeping a close eye on him. He even smiled and gave us little claps of applause tonight...I'm glad this day is over with too Colton boy. In fact I'm glad this WEEK is over with...car accidents, scopes, ER trips...blood samples.
-
I love my little Colton and glad he's okay. My little mystery breathing and anesthesia reaction child.

16 comments:

Kara said...

I'm starting to think this might be the worst week ever. I'm so sorry that you had to go to the ER! You and your little fam deserve a vacation to Hawaii after all this. Or maybe a straight answer on what is going on with Colton would do the trick. Either way, Colton is still cute as all get out.

janner said...

Good grief, Angela. That is the kind of thing that is only supposed to happen to MY kids.

I am so incredibly sorry that you had such a bad day. I agree with you that it is too weird that he would just get a fever that high out of the blue, the same day as the scope. I do however, like blood samples, because they can tell you a lot of stuff, and if they checked out OK, then at least there are some more things you know you DON'T have. What you DO need now is some REST. All of you. No way to think clearly when you are only running on adrenalin.

We love you all so much. Colton is precious. You are an amazing mom and Mike is SuperDad. Actually, Jeffrey suggested that they didn't find anything today because obviously Colton is a superhero--he is just building up his energy so he can start flying!

Sharon said...

Can't believe with the incredible horrible day, week, 2 weeks (whatever the count is now) that Colton looks as adorable as ever - even with his little sad face, his hospital gown, and his IV that they've wrapped up to look like a broken arm. Thank heavens Feb. 2, 2010 is OVER! I'm hoping that you all were able to sleep through the night with no trauma whatsoever. Today can only be better, right?!?!?

Our Family said...

Oh Angela, I'm so sorry! I've been thinking about you all week. I was so hoping you'd get some answers yesterday instead of more questions. I wish there was something I could do to help you guys in this hard time. You are definitely in our prayers.

McGiven Family.... said...

Oh my gosh Angela, I am so sorry. I wish they would have had a more clear answer for you. I hope that Colton is okay. He is so adorable and I am sure that everything will work out. Good luck with everything.

lyndsey said...

awwww friend that is the saddest little picture ever! i guess this is one groundhog's day you don't want to repeat ;)

Hannah said...

Poor baby! What a long day for all of you. I love Jeffrey's comment too--Colton is obviously a superhero! We love you and think about you ALL the time.

Crystal said...

Oh, Angela, what a terrible day. I'm so sorry you guys had to go through all that. I'm glad little Colton is okay. Hopefully, the answers and the peace of mind you need will be coming soon. On a positive note, Colton looks absolutely adorable in that picture. Let me know if you need anything.

Baldersons said...

Poor Colton, and poor you and Mike. Hopefully things get better for you in the next few days (sounds like they couldn't really get too much worse). We are thinking about you

Karen the "Hungry Mom" said...

Im sorry you had to go through that... :( He does look pretty adorable though in that pic :)

Jill said...

We love you all SO MUCH! We were going crazy right with you yesterday. Colton is precious beyond belief. You are due for a better day today.

andrea.roche said...

ew. ew. ew.
No words, but I'm imagining the frustration. We'll say a prayer for you guys.

Toni S. Cook said...

That is the sweetest little picture of your baby boy. You can see how much he needs his mommy. You, Mike, and especially Colton are in our prayers. I hope you get some answers soon.

Brooke said...

This was just horrible! I am so sorry you had to go through this! Yuck. I am so grateful that Colton is okay, but how stressful for you and Mike! I agree with Kara, worst.week.ever! I hope this next week treats you better! :) We love you guys!

Jamie Jensen Hill said...

I can't imagine what you must be going through - everything is so scary - especially with a first kid. I'll keep little Colton in my prayers.

Shannon said...

How is Colton doing? I hope he is okay.