Thursday, February 11, 2010

Whew.

Whew. I'm starting to feel human again. Last week was so stressful. A day after our hospital/ER trip, I started Colton in physical therapy. Once it was determined that Colton's airways were fine and not causing him to not move, I decided to approach the moving problem head on.

Physical therapy: 2 times a week for the next 10 weeks, plus lots of at home practice

I know what you are thinking, "Oh angela is silly. Colton will move when he wants...he's fine."

I assure you...this kid. needs. physical. therapy. I know. I'm his mom. I've been watching my almost one year old NEVER make an attempt to sit up from lying down or crawl. He was months and months from crawling. And believe me, I've tried and TRIED to help him. Like I thought, the physical therapist said Colton's mobility was about at the same level as a 6 month old. Seriously. So, we are going to change that and get this kid moving. He's already shown great improvement and I'm feeling really good about it, although Colton isn't quite sure and cries practically the entire session.

Good news, Colton is fine in every other way...just happens to be significantly late in moving. Who knows exactly why. chubby, big head, cautious, content, chill little guy. So, for now, I'm going to pretend the weird breathing doesn't exist, and hopefully it just solves itself :)

ahhh, it's nice to feel almost normal again.

11 comments:

Jordan said...

hope the physical therapy works. i kinda like the fact that he doesn't move. you can just set him somewhere and do have to worry about him running off and stuff. i mean, he's got the rest of his life to move and stuff, might as well let him chill out while he still can. jk jk. i'm sure he'll get movin soon.

Jill said...

Cannot wait to see you in a week and a half. You deserve a little R&R after last week.

I love this picture, and I love the little boy in it. I think broadening Colton's horizons with PT is a great idea! Hopefully he'll get used to it and actually have fun there!

Hannah said...

Angie--I love this new mentality, and I think it sounds totally right. It just feels right. Maybe once Colton starts moving, the breathing thing will magically disappear? You and Colton are awesome!

brittany said...

Sharon told me the whole crazy story yesterday on the phone. I am so glad the physical therapy seems to be helping!! I am sure this whole thing has been so scary and stressful. I hope things continue to improve for you guys.

ChanellR said...

I bet it is such a relief to have a plan and to finally be able to do something. I think sitting around wondering if there is something wrong is the worst.
I had a speech therapist work with Kate when she turned two. People told me she would be fine and start talking when she was ready, but it made me feel better that I was doing what I could do to help her. She talks A LOT now- I don't know if it was the therapy or if she was just ready, but I'm glad I did what I did.
I think you are doing a great job as Colton's mom- being a mom is tough stuff some time- but it is also pretty amazing too.
Look forward to hearing all about Colton's progress. Good luck Colton- and don't worry about crying. I cried through most of my physical therapy sessions too- but I was in college. :)

Seth and Brittney said...

I like this post. Always go with your "mommy-dar". I think the extra help is awesome. Good luck in it all!

janner said...

PT is awesome. I am so glad that you are doing this. I had to take Amy to PT for about a year and a half when she was a baby for nerve damage done to her arm and face when she was born. Sometimes I wondered whether it was doing more good for her or me--it just made me feel good to be DOING SOMETHING about it and to have another professional on board helping me. Amy actually loved it, so maybe Colton will come around. Do they have that cool swing thing for him? That was our favorite!

Aaron and Celina said...

Man you had a rough week!! i'm glad everything is ok with your little man! lets get together soon! miss you!

sam and brittney said...

I am soo glad that you are feeling better. Hope that physical therapy continues to go well for you guys.

Our Family said...

You're a great mom Angela! Sounds like you are doing just what Colton needs. Your next baby will probably be walking at 7 months and you'll have an entirely new stress:)

Tracy said...

You've said he's ok in every other aspect except for his strange breathing and not moving... Have you ever thought that perhaps he has a form of autism? I have a friend who dealt with the none moving issue until her daughter was almost 1 1/2. Her daughter would attempt to move on her belly but that was about it. She was diagnosed with a mild case of autism. Now at almost 3, she is walking around and doing very well with the use of physical therapy.