Saturday, April 17, 2010

Camping 101

We successfully went on our first ever campout with Colton this weekend! Here's how we did at Warm Springs, by Camping 101 standards:

Eat yummy food- A+
Can't go wrong with hot dogs, smores, and a pancake and egg breakfast. In true Colton fashion, he downed every part of every meal.
Set up tent- A
We borrowed an awesome 6 man tent and set up Colton's pack n play on one side and a queen-sized air mattress on the other. Luxury? Well, almost...read on to the next section.
Stay warm- Mike D, the rest of us B
Mike quoted hours before the trip, "it'll be 60 at night, that's warm. I don't need my sweats. You don't need to layer Colton's clothing, he'll be fine." Fast forward to 3 am..."I am soooo cold. I'm wearing jeans, I didn't bring my sweats. Did you pack them?" All I know is that I could see my breath in the morning and the numerous crying children "I'm cold" from nearby friends' tents would indicate that it was INDEED cold.
Stay hydrated- A-
Spend quality time with dad (and friends)- A+
Colton was in heaven, he just crawled and crawled around everywhere constantly smiling. What beats being outside, with dad, and with balls to throw? In Colton's world, nothing.
Go swimming- A++++
We walked along a warm springs stream. The water was warm, it was 85, and Colton looooovvved throwing rocks and making splashes. I've never seen the kid laugh so hard. We also swam in the pools which were awesome.
Play with balls- A
That's pretty much Colton's life right now. Throwing balls, retrieving balls, pointing out objects that look like balls. Life is good.

Look cool- A++

Pants tucked INSIDE socks. Yes.
Overall, I would have to say I give the first campout an A! I think Colton would agree.

13 comments:

Kathryn e. said...

Looks like a good time was had by all. Colton is such a stud! Very brave to go camping, Jake and I have yet to take our kids...or ourselves for that matter!

janner said...

Sounds like lots of fun! And look at Colton standing up! Wow! If only you could have seen THAT picture a few months ago! He is such a handsome little guy! Looks at home in the outdoors...you all could move to Culpeper and be rednecks with us! haha.

Jordan said...

great.. on his way to being an eagle scout in no time. looks like a fun trip and colton is looking great.

sam and brittney said...

Colton looks so grown up and cute! You guys are way more brave in the camping department than us. I don't think James will go camping until he is a few years old!

Jill said...

What fabulous pictures! What a handsome happy boy! This looks like a very nice event...I'm so glad you could all go and enjoy such a good time.

It sounds like Colton is totally ready for the next Fathers & Sons campout now!

becca said...

I want to go with you next time! I love the name "Warm Springs." It sounds like a comfy place to brave your first campout. You took the best pictures. I love Colton's empty food tray, Colton climbing on that strategically placed log, and the picture with Mike sitting near Colton. I can tell from all Colton's dear expressions that he had a great time.

Our Family said...

What a fun weekend! It's so great to do stuff like that because when it helps make the memories stick. When I think back to my kids first years the only things I can remember are vacations!

Sharon said...

Colton's pictures are adorable. I love the pictures where he has the huge smiles on his face and I love him sitting with the ball. Love those purple sweats, Ang!!! I'm sorry Mike was freezing. I guess he'll bring sweats next time. Sounds like it was fun. Glad your first camping trip with Colton was a success.

Hannah said...

I love the rating system! Poor Mike with his D in "Stay Warm." We've had a cold spell for a few days and we were freezing when we woke up to our thermostat at 67 degrees...

Colton is so awesome. I love all his smiles and enthusiasm!!! This sounds like heaven.

Brooke said...

What a fun weekend! Colton looks so happy in all the pictures. It makes me want to go camping now. So happy to hear it was a success! :)

Karen the "Hungry Mom" said...

you guys are so cute!! thats such a fun family trip!

Crystal said...

Looks like you had a fun camping adventure. I'm glad the tent and stuff worked for you.

NicolaSigel0508 said...

nice job! waiting for your new artical. ........................................