Sunday, June 27, 2010

Project #2

I just completed my second building project (from knock-offwood.com). I'm kinda obsessed with building these days.

Project #2: Toy Shelf for Colton's toys. I followed these plans (builds you 2 shelves for $60 in lumber).

STEP 1: Buy lumber from Home Depot
STEP 2: Get lumber cut at Home Depot
STEP 3: Build bookshelf with nail gun, wood glue
STEP 4: Fill nail holes and sand down
STEP 5: Prime and paint bookshelf (I used Behr paint and primer in one)
STEP 5: Paint 2-3 polycrylic coats for protection
...and you're done!
So, for $24 in lumber, plus $27 in finishing supplies...I have a $51 bookshelf (warning...I spent as much on the baskets as I did on the shelf :) But aren't they beautiful? haha )

Hope you like it! Once Colton gets more toys and needs a toy room, I'll have the other shelf and put 2 against a wall. I already bought the other matching baskets.

13 comments:

Jill said...

I do not get tired of looking at this. It's just fabulous. Perfectly classy color scheme for the living room or anywhere.

Brooke said...

So impressed. I love it!

Shannon said...

You are amazing! This is awesome! Sorry it took me so long to send you this link! Our internet has been down for about three weeks! Anyway, you might have already taken your pictures, but here is the link to the girl I go to. Her name is Angela. She does an amazing job! She has raised her prices quite a bit since I started taking pictures with her last year. (Last year it was $100, now it is $300), but she let me use last year's prices until Allie was one. Anyway, here is the link http://www.angelamariephoto.com/portraits/pricing.html

Hope you are all doing well! It has been fun reading your blog! I love your posts!

Taylor Kowallis said...

ohmigosh, this is amazing! Next time you make one let me know and I will make one with you!!!

Hannah said...

They really are gorgeous. I really wish I lived near you so that I could do these projects with you--they look to scary to try without an experienced builder like you ;).

Sharon said...

Looks fantastic. You and Heidi are both pretty amazing!

Anderson's said...

That looks awesome! I need to learn how to do that, I want a book case for the boys room. It looks so good

Chet and Korryn said...

You Rock Girly!! I was telling Chet yesterday that I would like to learn to do some wood working and that you could teaching me (If you are willing of course).

Mike + Mo said...

Looks good! I'm VERY impressed that you built it yourself!

brittany said...

very impressive.

The Dawes' said...

That is so cool! I love it! I am also very impressed of your skills, I think I would totally mess it up. We miss you guys!

江婷 said...

良言一句三冬暖,惡語傷人六月寒。.................................................................

becca said...

You are my design star! Love the shelf and the baskets.