Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bribery.


If you are a perfect mom...you've probably never had to use the persuasive technique of BRIBERY on your children. Good for you :) I, however, have...and I love it. Allow me to explain.

For months and months, going out was so difficult. SO so so difficult. Tantrum with the diaper change. Tantrum with the socks. Tantrum with the shoes. Tantrum going to the garage. Tantrum, flailing, back arching getting into the car seat. By the time I had Colton buckled in, I'd be in a FULL blown sweat and my heart would be pounding from me trying to keep in my frustration.

Here is where we meet the wonderful technique of bribery. I had already tried toys, food, letting Colton do it on his own, wait for when he's ready...all of it. So, I caved. In a moment of weakness I said, "I'll give you an m&m if you sit on the stairs while mommy gets you ready." In an instant the crying stopped, and he sat perfectly on the step. "I'll give you an m&m if you get in the car!" In an instant he would stop running in circles and get in the car. Nothing short of a miracle.

So here we are 3 months later and I'm happy to report, I still use m&ms (just 1 or 2) to get out of the house. My life is SO much better. I don't use m&ms for anything else, just this.

Judge if you will. But I love the power of those beautifully colored chocolate candies. Thank you m&ms.

7 comments:

Renee said...

Love it. Every good mom has learned that you have to bribe often to get what you want! :)

Brooke said...

Awesome. I fully support you in your m&m bribery. Sounds like it is working and anything that can get you out of the house without a fight is worth it in my mind.

Ryan has like three packs of fruit snacks on our walks. It's the only way he will go with me. I just might have to try m&m's...

lyndsey @ the stationery place said...

haha! i totally love this post. i fully support your bribery.

Jill said...

My dear, this is not bribery. It is positive reinforcement. Bribes are used to get people to do something they shouldn't, which is not what you're doing. I hope this is helpful! (At least it sounds good.)

You're one great mom.

Hannah said...

I agree with mom! This is more like an incentive. :) And ALL mom's use them, even if they don't admit it. Hooray for M&M's!

Crystal said...

Yay for bribery! I am definitely a fan of bribing my kids too. If giving them a little piece of candy can help avoid a major meltdown, then I am all for it. What mom hasn't used bribery? Keep using those M&Ms guilt free.

Our Family said...

We parented Carter with dum dum suckers for an entire year. I told Kyle we could write the book Parenting for suckers by suckers... No regrets!