Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Columbus Update

Well, we made it to Ohio a week and a half ago, have moved into our little house, and are waiting on our truck to arrive with all our belongings. Hopefully it will come in 2 weeks (but it's already a week late, so WHO knows).

Columbus is gorgeous! I love it. We have a river a mile from our house, a zoo, a neighborhood with sidewalks, a playground in the backyard...it's great! Our house is super cute, thanks to my parents to came up and did all sorts of work on it. Colton loves Columbus too. He likes going for walks outside, picking bark off trees, and swinging on his swing. So, he is doing well all things considered.

In the week and a half we've been here, we've already had 5 interviews/ meetings for Colton's therapies, 2 Occupational Therapy appointments, and another 3 meetings in the next week to get him rolling in the other therapies.

As for me?...well, I'm just trying learn how exactly to be me and handle all our changes. Do I tell people, or do I wait? Do I act positive and upbeat so people don't feel bad for me, or do I really let them know what I'm going through so they can support me? Do I want to make my life "Autism" or do I want to show a balance so I can have friends? No one wants to be friends with someone who is always whining and only talks about their own kids problems. How do I find that balance of being caring, giving, friendly, while helping others know the REAL me of what I'm struggling with. How do I relate to others? Being a mom gives you an automatic ability to relate to other mothers...but for me, I have different struggles/battles/ worries/ fears...it alienates me naturally and makes me feel lonely. How do I not feel lonely? I feel myself just wanting to withdrawl from everything...facebook...blogging...all of it because all I can think to post about is Colton, and don't want to push people away. Do I just join Autism support groups? How will Colton do with all the therapy? How much will he cry in protest? How much of that can I handle? How am I going to do implementing his therapies 100% of the time? Will I have the strength? How much is he going to improve? Will he start talking again? Well he ever relate to anyone other than close family? Will he ever have friends again? So many questions...

Overall, I'm optimistic about the future. I feel Columbus is the place for us for progress for Mike, me and Colton. But, in being honest, it's really hard trying to figure it all out and figure out the new "me" because Colton does change that now. I live IN this world, but I also have my own little Autism world which sets be apart and makes me have to see the world differently in order to understand Colton.

Okay, enough rambling for now!
(I kinda look prego from this angle, I assure you I am not)
Our house

10 comments:

Brooke said...

That first picture of Colton makes me ache for green trees and lovely ponds- and for Colton of course! We miss you guys terribly. Colton gets mentioned at least once a day. Ryan has no concept that you guys moved. He tells me before bed at night, "And tomorrow we can go to Colton's house!" Poor guy. Moving is hard, but I can imagine how much harder it has become with everything you are facing right now. You have a gift for making friends wherever you go and I know that will hold true for Ohio as well. I hope you don't totally abandon your blog and facebook. I love hearing updates of how you are doing and seeing pictures of where you are living. I hope your stuff comes soon. Once you can make your new house look like home hopefully things will start feeling a little more like home for you. I have been wanting to call you but didn't want to be a bother, so you will have to accept my novel of a comment instead! I would love to chat and I will even let you talk about Colton the whole time. In fact- that's all I want to hear about! Call me. :)

And I will just say it again- WE MISS YOU!!!!

The Chappells said...

responded via facebook so maybe before you give it up, login...hopefully my experience can help a bit.

Crystal said...

I'm pretty envious of the sidewalks and all that beautiful scenery. You moved away from Vegas at the perfect time to miss the temps skyrocketing into the 100s everyday. We sure do miss you guys. It seems so strange to think that you aren't just around the corner. I can't imagine how stressful moving must be with all that you are dealing with right now. You can use your blog or facebook to vent anytime you want. I'm sure no one minds; I know I don't. I've always admired your natural ability to make friends where ever you go. I'm sure you'll soon have lots of friends. Hope you can start getting all settled in and that all your stuff arrives soon:).

lyndsey said...

looks so pretty! i'm glad you made it safely, hope your stuff comes soon. good luck making friends, i'm sure people will love you no matter what/if you decide to share with them. and just know that i too am the new girl trying to meet people and figure out my new life right along with you -- just 2,000 miles away :) miss ya xo

Taryn said...

Found a link to your blog on facebook...stalker much?! :) I know I can't relate with the struggles you are going through with your son, but I can tell you that Ohio, and our ward, are great places to be. As you saw yesterday there is a lot of support for children and parents with autism just in our ward, let alone the entire community. As for figuring yourself out when you move across the country that can be hard too, but I think you and your husband both did a great job of being friendly and making people aware of your struggles with out making people feel awkward of sorry for you. We have loved every minute (even the hard ones) of living here and hope you feel welcome and at home after a little while! We live SO close, so we will have to meet up lots :)

Rach H said...

Hey, I found your blog from facebook too! We are really excited that you moved into the ward. I hope you really love it here. It's a great place. Please let me know if there's anything that you ever need. Without family here, we become each other's families! So, welcome sista!

I'll send you an invite to my blog. :)

Jill said...

It's so great for me as your mom in another state to see a couple of comments from new friends in Ohio! You are already on the right path. This will be a place of healing. You will see. Our prayers are with you always, and I understand what you mean about redefining yourself. You have a new dimension in your life which seems to make everything different. We are ever evolving, adapting, sometimes more rapidly than we feel we can keep up with. But you shall overcome!

Aaron and Celina said...

Miss you! Miss you! Miss you! Ohio looks beautiful!! i already want to come visit haha :) i want to see more pics!! hope you are doing ok.. everyone there will love you! how could they not??

Ashley J said...

We are so glad to have you guys here! :) We are going to have a blast! You can count on it!!!

rebecca said...

congrats on the new place! just thinking of moving makes me sentimental and stressed out.