Saturday, July 30, 2011

A closer look

We are settling into Columbus and some of our new routines. Columbus is beautiful... we regularly take walks, visit the waterfall right by our house, or go on river walks. We enjoy playgroups, eating at Chipotle and Einstein Bagels, and looking for squirrels. From the outside looking in, things might just look totally normal...Mike and Colton running around playing a game, or me and Colton reading books together.

But, if you look closer...you see a calendar filled with appointments, therapists, interviews and planning meetings. You'd see paperwork, medical bills, and time sheets for managing employees. You'd find business cards, and sticky notes, and piles of papers waiting to be filed.

Colton's schedule has gone from nothing all week, to 5 hours a day of appointments and it's only going to get more. You'd see a mom who works tirelessly every moment thinking of ways to help her son. Every car ride is filled with me trying to get Colton to talk, to use his words, or to notice his surroundings. Every look out the window is filled with me asking questions to get his mind thinking conversationally, coming up with stories to help him think in the abstract, or repeating phrases over and over again to help him gain the language. I have to follow through on everything I ask him to do, even when it makes him mad. I need to remain completely calm in all tantrum situations. It's like I'm in a game of chess, contstantly planning what I should say, how I should respond, or how I should act...because everything I do helps reinforce what he is learning in therapy... or unravels his therapy.

But, I'm SO happy to be making progress. And, I'm so proud of Colton. He is being so brave handling all these new people, new situations, and new demands. I'm excited for what the future will bring for him. He has a lot of potential. It is a lot of work...but I know where it can get us. And we WILL get there.

But, BOY, do I love this kid. Just look at this face...



13 comments:

Kathryn e. said...

You are one AMAZING mom. I am so proud of the progress Colton is making and I am excited to see him continue to grow and develop. Keep up the good work!

p.s. Columbus sounds like a great place to live...

Brooke said...

I love the new blog layout! Very cute. I also love, love, LOVE the picture of Colton with that big cheesy grin. He is so handsome. I miss him (and you!) so much. Sounds like things are progressing and you are finding a new normal. I am jealous that your new normal includes river walks. Luuuuucky!You are a great mom. I am in awe of all you do. You are awesome!

Renee said...

I am glad to see that you are hanging in there. We think about you often. I can imagine your new routine is very difficult but just remember how amazing you are. Not all mom's could do what you are doing with a smile on their face...you are one incredible lady!

Paula Kent said...

Angela, I miss getting to visit with you! You are such an amazing lady and are such an example to me! I think about you and your sweet family often and will always keep you in my prayers. Please keep in touch.
Love ya!
Paula K.

Ashley J said...

You are doing great Angela!!! I have been so impressed with how you are handling all of this! Colten is such a great kid and we all love him so much already! So glad that you guys are here and that we are able to have you in our lives! Loved your talks today in church! Great job!!!

Anderson's said...

Angela, I think you are amazing! you are doing such an amazing job. i truly admire you. i know all of your hard work will pay off and colton is so blessed to have such a wonderful mom!

FFTFandB said...

With my son, God told me to "relax and enjoy him". You know what??.... he was right!

Tara said...

We miss you guys! You are a great mom for Colton.

Sharon said...

Colton looks so cute. Love that smile. What a lucky boy to have such a fabulous mom who is WORKING non stop to work and play and help in every way possible.

becca said...

The new blog layout is awesome. Every move deserves a little blog upheaval, I have found.

Colton's big smile is proof that the hard work is working! I love you for it, and I love him for all the joy he continues to share. I love hearing him nearby when I talk to you on the phone. "Whattawe gonna do?" You're totally doing it!

Jill said...

We are with you 100%. You are relentless and skilled and brave. We pray you continue to have the energy you need in the vital mission you are pursuing with our wonderful boy. Thank you for being such a heroic mother. I love these pictures of a smiling Colton, and see much joy ahead.

The Maughans said...

I echo every wonderful comment made to you on this blog dear Angela.I knew from years ago you were blessed with such inner strength and it is necessary in these trials. No one could be the Mom for Colton except you! You have the skills, determination and love that it takes. Ohio has a calmness to it that will bring peace to your souls. His smile is amazing and brought tears and a big smile to me. We think of you all often. I love your blog!

The Hungry Mom said...

columbus sounds beautiful!! You are an amazing mom Angela and I am in awe of you!