Tuesday, August 9, 2011

GeOOOOORGE!


Colton has been cracking me up lately with the things he's picking up. Recently, he has been using lines from his Curious George show to talk to me.

Here are a few favorites:

While running down our hallway, "Geeeeoooooorrrggge! Hey!"
While pulling a wagon,"Here goes nuttin'!"
While holding a train track like a camera, "say cheese!...HEY!"
When walking into a messy doctor's office, "What happened in here? What a mess."
While at the zoo, "I see monkey. George monkey. A doctor monkey!"
While watching me get ready, "What are you doing in there?"
While playing outside, "Don't be too curious! Be careful!"




PS don't you love Colton's sandal tan?

(Note: for those of you wondering "wait, Colton is talking...does he still have Autism?" Here is my answer: Yes he is talking more, and yes he has Autism. His speech has gradually been coming back, but it's noticeable now that he is simply memorizing things and not speaking conversationally (autism problem, it's called echolalia). He still DEFINITELY has Autism, and is verbal...but will need to learn how to communicate better still. Speech is only a part of communication and although he can put together words in a sentence, he lacks the other aspects of communication like directing language at someone, involving others, uniquely coming up with sentences, eye contact etc. It isn't so noticeable when they are 2, but as they get closer to 3 then 4 years old etc. the gap becomes pretty noticeable. It's noticeable now if you watch him in nursery or with other kids his age. But BOY are we CRAZY grateful his language has come back. EVERY word he speaks I love and appreciate! :)

10 comments:

Andrea said...

Uh excuse me...it sounds like he talks better than TREYSON!? Please explain! ;)

Angela and Mike said...

Andrea dearest...his speech has gradually been coming back, but it's noticeable now that he is simply memorizing things and not speaking conversationally (autism problem). He still DEFINITELY has Autism, and is verbal...but will need to learn how to communicate better still. Speech is only a part of communication and although he can put together words in a sentence, he lacks the other aspects of communication :)

Baldersons said...

Angela, first off you are amazing. I can't even begin to comprehend all your recent experiences with Colton must have been. But it seems like you have handled it all with such grace and love. I'm sure Colton (and you guys) have a ways to go, but you have come so far it seems in the past little while! Way to go Colton!

Becca said...

Hey angela, I have no idea if you remember me but we were in the same ward freshman yr. Anywho, I blog stalk you sometimes (ha I know creepy) and I just wanted to say how amazing I think you are. My Son Bryant is being evaluated for Autism right now. They think he has Aspergers & Sensory Processing Disorder (he does the whole echolalia thing too). I haven't even told anyone yet because I feel like we have been grieving & trying to come to some acceptance. Whenever I feel like I have come to terms with it, I get hit with a wave of sadness for him. Anyway, I have no idea why I'm writing this to you. But I was thinking maybe you would have some tips or ideas that have helped. We just met with the early intervention people today so that should be helpful. I keep hearing about special diets or therapies & it's overwhelming. Anyway, sorry to bug you! My email address is becca.c.barnes@gmail.com just in case :)

Brooke said...

I LOVE that Colton loves Curious George. I could totally hear the man in the yellow hat yelling "Geooooorge!" when I read the title of this post. We watch A LOT of Curious George around here too. I think my favorite Colton line so far would have to be, "Don't be too curious! Be careful!" haha. What a cutie. I am so encouraged to hear that he is talking more and more. It must be wonderful to hear his sweet little voice again! :) You are doing such a great job. Colton is so lucky to have you. That first picture of him smiling just melts my heart. I love that little guy! Hope things continue to look up for you guys! Miss you! We need a phone call soon. We will be in the same time zone starting tomorrow evening! :)

Cummards said...

Pretty sure we have that same george movie! Sometimes I blame all of Caesys bad behavior on that little monkey! I think Casey thinks he IS curious george!

I am so so happy to hear things are going up for you and Colton! He is a little sweetie with a killer tan line :)

Crystal said...

I'm happy to hear that he is making some good progress. I love the pics with Colton cheezing it. He's such a cute little guy. We miss you guys. My kids often ask about your family.

Julie said...

Love you guys! I think Curious George has played a big part in all our lives... glad it hit home with Colton too!!

Jill said...

Move over Buzz Lightyear, make way for George. I love how, even though he is repeating memorized phrases, he is using them in the correct context! That's gotta count for something! I can't wait to see you in a few weeks, and get to hear that musical little voice again.

Brandi said...

Angela,
I just found out about Colton. I have worked with children and adults with Autism for over a decade and have a nephew who has hyperlexia among other diagnosis that fall somewhere on the Austism spectrum. So to say that I have a special place in my heart for these guys is an understatement. We are a year into all of Evan's therapies and you should see the difference. My sister belongs to a few Parents online groups that have really helped her. So if you have any questions or want to talk to someone who has been in your shoes my sister is great and well I know over 200 individuals with Autism, so I may have some insight too. Also, if you haven't, rent the movie Temple Grandin... all parents of these special little ones should see it.
Be strong and remember no matter who you are working with, i.e. therapists, social worker, whoever. NO one knows your son better then you so fight for everything you want for him. In this case the squeaky wheel is the best wheel to be. I miss seeing you and his cute little face.