Friday, October 28, 2011

Colton's Autism Therapy Part 1

(I am not an Autism expert, and do not pretend to be. I AM, however, becoming an expert on Colton's Autism and his therapy. Every child on the Autism spectrum is different and every parent makes the decisions that are best for their child. And I am the last person to judge.)

PART 1

In an effort to help people better understand Colton's therapy and my life...here is a basic Q&A I put together of Colton's Autism therapy. Tomorrow I will post details on the actual therapy.

Q. Colton has Autism, but what does he exactly need therapy for?
A. EVERYTHING. Autism affects all aspects of Colton. He has deficits and issues including: communication (and speech), social-adaptive behavior, self help skills, gross motor, fine motor, play skills, repetitive behaviors, sensory issues...etc.

Q. How do you possibly target all those areas?
A. ...and this is why we have 30 hrs a week of therapy (primarily ABA-Applied Behavioral Analysis).

Q. I always thought there is no chance for a kid with Autism, why do you try so hard?
A. If there is one thing I've learned in the past 5 months, it's that Autism is NOT the end. Hard hard work and early intervention make a HUGE difference.

Q. Sounds like you are just therapy-ing the living day lights out of him. Why don't you accept him for who he is?
A. I ASSURE you, there is not a mom out there who loves, and is more accepting and encouraging of their child. Therapy is my way I can help Colton reach his potential, not take away who he is.

Q. What is your ultimate goal with Colton?
A. Right now, my goal is to have Colton be able to attend a normal school one day, and eventually without the help of an in-class aide. I want him to experience life, not be sheltered from it. I want him to be capable of having meaningful relationships with peers and others. And one day...I'm hoping he'll graduate from high school, go to college, and maybe even get married...but that's looking really far ahead :)

This post is getting long, so tomorrow I will post about the basics of Colton's therapy. I know...you are so excited you can hardly stand it. haha.

6 comments:

Brooke said...

I am excited to hear what Colton's therapy entails! (despite your sarcastic tone at the end of the post. ha.) Thanks for posting about this and being so open. I love getting updates. I think you are the most fantastic, in-tune mother I have ever met. Colton is so so lucky to have you as his mom. You're amazing.

Cam said...

I'm excited to hear about his therapy! I'm in school to become an SLP, so this is right up my alley. I think you are amazing and Colton definitely came to the right mama!!

Meredith Hayes said...

Hi Angela, it's Meredith Eaton; do you remember me from Leavitt days? I got married and now I'm Meredith Hayes...anyway, I'm enjoying keeping up with you and have to say I am so impressed with your determination and strength with Colton's autism. It seems Autism is everywhere these days, and one of my close friends who is an Autism Behavioral Therapist always, always tells me wonderful stories about her clients who are leading more and more productive lives. Really, in you and Mike, he has the greatest tools and resources. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers, and I would just like to give you a big high 5 and hug from over here in CA.

Jill said...

I am grateful every day for Colton's therapies, and that he has parents who will take these measures to teach him so diligently. From a grandparent's point of view, I see amazing progress and increased joy in our little boy. And he has fun with the therapy--it is not unpleasant or grueling in any way. I have watched him come in a few months from confused, distant, silent and isolated, to personable, talkative, and willing to try new things. Thank you, thank you, thank you, God.

Chanell said...

You are a fantastic mother. I can't even tell you how amazed I am by both you and Mike. Thanks for giving us some insight into the ins and outs of Colton's therapy. I'm excited to learn more...

Sharon said...

I can't wait to read tomorrow's post and hear more specific's about Colton's therapy. I do know without a doubt, that Colton could not find a better mother and father if we looked the whole world over. He is the cutest, dearest little guy. Can't wait to see him again soon.