Sunday, February 19, 2012

First Impressions

Colton turns 3 next Saturday? WHAT? How do I have a 3 year old. How is he so big? I can hardly believe it. Colton turning 3 has made me a big nostalgic...

I remember so clearly those first moments of Colton's life. Minutes after being born, Colton looked around the room eyes wide- so curiously, so intently- as if he were trying to figure out this crazy world. I held him, and he looked right into my eyes and really looked at me.

I remember getting his newborn pictures taken, and he just stared straight at that camera the whole time...totally amused...not even attempting to fall asleep for those classic "sleeping newborn" shots. People used to tell me how aware and alert he was for a newborn. He noticed everything. I used to joke that the world was just a little too much for Colton.

When Colton was a week old, we took him on a walk. I remember poor Colton clinging on for DEAR life to that baby bjorn. He was terrified, and then once the sun shined on him, it was all just too much for his little body to handle. He braced himself for the sun, held on tight and tolerated our walk.

I remember describing his little personality on day 5 on his life as "sweet, lovable, stubborn stubborn, and tricky."

It's funny how I already knew my little Colton so well just a few days after he was born. His personality now is just that- it's sweet, oh-so lovable, stubborn beyond anything I could imagine and patience-trying tricky (I understand the stubborn and tricky part more now :) ). The world IS a little overwhelming for him, and he still CLINGS on for dear life. Whether that be onto my leg, or onto things that are familiar, or his little routines, or onto what makes him feel comfortable...this life is just a little harder for Colton. He still looks around at things with those eyes that see everything, taking it all in...sometimes in ways I recognize and sometimes in ways that I don't even pick up on.

But BOY do I love that kid. I'm happy to be that security for him, the thing he clings onto. I always tell him, as he is panicing when I walk into a different room or leave for a few minutes "I will come back Colton. I always will come back. I always do."

Colton, I am so proud of you. I'm so proud of the wonderful boy that you are. I'm proud of all your hard work and for learning lots of new things everyday. I know you have to work harder than most kids. You are the sweetest boy, with the purest heart. You love so fully. I love how you take care of me and look out for me. You are my #1 buddy. We love you to pieces. Happy 3rd birthday Colton!


16 comments:

Karen the "Hungry Mom" said...

Awwww so sweet!! Happy birthday Colton!!

Steph said...

I can't believe he is almost 3! He is adorable and lucky to have you as a mom, Angela!

Jill said...

Well, I'm pretty much bawling right now. Good thing I'm COMING! Cannot wait to see that little guy. I thank God that Colton has you and Mike for parents, and enjoys such total love and support as he deciphers this crazy world.

lyndsey said...

aww! happy birthday mr. colton! i remember when he was born and talking to you about his cute little personality. you are such a good mama.

Cummards said...

Wow, he is three!! Hope he has a good birthday, they are always a little bitter/sweet for me! Love that family picture at the end, you guys are one good looking family!

Cummards said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cummards said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Taryn said...

It is amazing how they really are born with these special personalities. And what an amazing mom you are to pick up on so much, so quickly. I admire you so much and think you do such a great job being Colton's best friend and advocate. He is the sweetest boy and seems like he is doing so great, and I know that a big reason for that is his great parents! Happy Birthday Colton!

Brooke said...

I love this post. I love that boy. I remember so vividly when he was born. I was so excited for Ryan and I to have another mom and baby to hang out with. It was the start of a beautiful friendship. We sure miss seeing you and Colton! I can't believe it's been 3 years- he is the sweetest, most handsome almost-3-year-old I know! Happy Birthday Colton boy!

brittany said...

I have been thinking the same thing all week. I can't believe my little boy is turning 3! So, I can totally relate to how crazy it seems.

Reading your blog posts over the last months has been really fascinating, especially since the boys are so close in age. I can't imagine what it has been like for you guys to go through all of this but I have to say I think you guys are amazing, I think Colton is the luckiest kid around, you guys have put your whole heart and souls into helping him and it is truly inspiring and admirable. I hope his birthday is a great day for all of you and a celebration of all he has accomplished. He seems like an incredible boy!

Sharon said...

What a sweet post Ang. It made me teary eyed. You did pick up on all his personality traits and nuances to quickly. And he is the luckiest boy to have you two for his parents. I wish we could be there for his 3rd birthday. I'm sure glad that your mom is there and hope you all have just a wonderful time with no crises whatsoever.

Crystal said...

Happy Birthday, Colton! He's such a cute little guy. It's crazy how fast 3 years goes by.
The other day, out of the blue, Schae asked, "Mom, why did Colton have to move?" It was like it just suddenly hit him that he hasn't seen him for really long time. It was pretty cute.

Baldersons said...

It is kind of sad every birthday I think especially the older they get. Hope you guys have a good one celebrating with him though. He is lucky to have parents like you and Mike!

The Dawes' said...

He's such a cutie! I can't believe he's three already, Happy Birthday Colton! I agree with Hannah, he is super lucky to have parents like you guys.

mamajo said...

Mike and Angela,
I enjoyed reading your tribute to Colton. Thanks for sharing your thoughts - it was touching to me.

Happy 3rd birthday to Colton.

Tracy

Aaron and Celina said...

I loved this post!! it made me sad too though.. especially that first hospital pic because i so clearly remember "going through" all of that with you.. man how time has flown by. I miss you a lot! I can't believe our babies are turning 3!