Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Big Boy Bed

It was time. Colton is now 3 years old and 2 months. Definitely time for a Big Boy Bed. We waited long enough for the switch, so I figured I might as well go big and just put him in a full blown twin.

I have this constant issue...I want a new piece of furniture, I want it to be quality, quality costs a lot of money, we are poor grad students and don't have money. So....what do I do? I make it. And make I did. (the headboard plans are from ana-white.com and the frame I made up). Solid wood. Headboard $20, bed base $60. Total $85. Customized perfectly for what I want. Sounds good to me :)

The transition for Colton went perfectly. All I needed was to make him a transition book/social story to prep him. Colton loved the bed, and had no troubles with the switch. I am so proud of him! And he looks so irresistibly cute and little in that big boy bed :)




 (I need a cute painted rocking chair in that left corner. Yellow or green?)

and a few close ups...


 and a few shots while building...


 And here is the cute boy IN the bed :) I love him.


11 comments:

Jill said...

You are amazing! It is gorgeous. How you do this is utterly mysterious to me. Colton is wonderful and darling, and looks so cozy. Wow. I'd love to see the social book you made him to help the transition go smoothly. And for the little rocker I was going to vote yellow for a cheerful punch, but it might be too much like the wall color in the rest of your house, in which case I think green like the pillow. I am no help at all!

Baldersons said...

Aw, he is adorable. I am so impressed with your furniture building skills. That bed looks like it came from restoration hardware. Way to go!

Mari and Blake said...

I love that bed! You are one talented lady. Blake has shown me pictures on Facebook of your bed several times today. We are both in awe of your skills...if only you were close enough to teach us!

Laura Beth said...

This is amazing, Angela! I need you to teach me your ways immediately. :)

Brooke said...

Love it! Your bedding is adorable too. You are so good at making a house a home with your decorating.

Page said...

Hi Angela, I'm a friend of Brittney Strebel's and sometimes peek at your blog.

We are about to move to a bigger house, and I am hoping to learn how to make furniture. Would you mind sharing how to get started, specifically a list of the tools I would need to get started? I love everything you've made!!

Angela and Mike said...

Page, I get all my plans from ana-white.com. She has a good link for getting started http://ana-white.com/2011/03/how-do-i-get-started

Let me know if you have any other questions. My advice is once you build the furniture, wood fill and sand really well. That makes a huge difference. Use wood conditioner if you are staining!

lyndsey @ the stationery place said...

I LOVE IT! you did awesome. seriously, don't mess w/ angela when she is building something! so tough.

Hannah said...

I just gotta say, you look AWESOME with that saw. You're my hero. And I love that boy!

(My first instinct is mustard, but I just might have to give my advice in person)

Nora said...

Holy crap, Angela. You are a total rockstar. And do GREEN!!! for the rocking chair. I have an extra Eames shell laying around that you could mount on rockers....now if only I can figure out how to ship it to you!!

fiona said...

Wow! What an awesome bed! You are quite talented.